Re: [seul-edu] BBS?

TJ Miller jr wrote:

> Question - why not fire up the INN server (a fairly capable news server) and
> run that over your LAN?  [...]
>
> I'm not sure if you want to add e-mail or etc, but it wouldn't be too awful
> much to set up. Best of all, you can park all of this on an older pentium
> and get good results.
>
> > From: Alan Eugene Davis <adavis@saipan.com>
> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > Subject: BBS?
> >
> > I have installed a network of four linux boxes in my classroom.  The
> > DC wants has a grant to install a dept-wide network, and I want to
> > connect.  We will also be on the Inet backbone "RSN" (soon).
> >
> > There has been some one-way discussion by the DC.  His grant required
> > him to set up this departmental  network  so that we can share
> > "desktops," etc.  He is a windoze man.
> >
> > I think to install a BBS, to facilitate real sharing among department
> > members, and to beat him to the punch, while he dreams up more ways of
> > "sharing" by way of spying on each other's desktops.  A BBS, I
> > reason---with little to no knowledge of the technology, and not even
> > having used any BBS for any time at all---might enable us to post and
> > share our ideas.  Perhaps files, images, etc.

What about something like AUC, LearnLoop, Harvey, SNS, Manhattan, or the like?
Those are all designed to be "educational environments" (to coin a descriptive
phrase) accessible to any client with a web browser.  They're fairly easy to set
up, and all of them are linked to from our alphabetical software listing
<http://www.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Alphabetical>.

--
Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid