RE: [seul-edu] Draft Review

Title: RE: [seul-edu] Draft Review

Is it worth getting the FSF lawyers to check legal issues? Don't know how fast they'd respond though and I think the release needs to go ASAP. Any law students out there?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen C. Daukas
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Sent: 5/2/02 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Draft Review

At 11:36 PM 5/1/2002, you wrote:
>Hi:  I just put Leon's draft #2 up at:
>http://www.studioforrecording.org/mt/Pubdomain_Bread/index.html
>
>and, I just can't help thinking this reads just right, and should be

A few things jumped out at me when I read it:

1.  Get rid of the "$" is "M$".  It is fine to use among ourselves, but
it
is pejorative and the statement looses credibility from there on.

2.  The second paragraph had better be bullet proof!  Was this reviewed
by
someone who knows both US federal and various US State commerce laws?
If
this is opinion, it must be clearly identified as such.  The
jurisdiction
to with the statement applies must also be identified.  Should this get
wide circulation, be prepared to back it up...  We might do well to see
if
any States Attorneys have made any comments on this subject we can quote

that will bolster our position.

3.  There should be a clear transition from the "we claim Microsoft is
not
on sound legal ground" to "what SEUL can do for you".  I had to read the

"SEUL has dozens of case studies..." paragraph opener more than once to
see
if I skipped something.

4.  "Mr. Brooks" has to be identified:  Who is he, what is his
connection
to SEUL, what is his background that allows him to speak on such
matters.

5.  Where is the official announcement?  This should be referenced so
folks
can find it.

By the way, where is the "official Announcement"?  I haven't seen it...

Regards,
Steve