Re: [seul-edu] Draft Review

Ed Lawson wrote:
>2.    Does anyone have any evidence that schools are not accepting
>donated equipment or that organizations that refurbish donated equipment
>are stopping or feel they are being hindered?  I know one operation
>which refurbishes computers for schools which has an
>agreement/understanding with MS that it can install Win95 on older
>machines without licenses as such.  No problem at all.  On machines
>capable of running Win200/XP it is another matter.

My school district (New Orleans) turns down any donation less than a 233 mhz
Pentium because older ones won't run the latest version of Windows. I have
bypassed the district and gotten a number of lesser machines through private
solicitation, but there is not even a system in place to notify interested
parties of potential donations. Most of them are probably hitting the
landfills.

Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org