[seul-edu] Re: new Gperiodic version

> I've finished the implementation of a colorization scheme based on
> physico-chemical properties of elements. Now there is something to
> play with ;-))
>
> Here is the gperiodic/NEWS file :
>
> ------------------------------------8<-------------------------------
> Fri Nov 12 18:30:53 CET 1999
>   when running gperiodic with the -c option, you can see the simple chemical
>   colored differently depending on their physical state, solid, liquid,
>   gas. The menu Colors-> From temperature allows to modify the ambient
>   temperature, so you  can melt and evaporate all the mendeleiv
>   classification simultaneously.  The colorizing method can be easily
>   extended to other physico-chemical properties.
> ------------------------------------8<-------------------------------
>
> I'll need some help to clean the code, and to fix a Segmentation fault
> which happens when the application is closed. I send the sources in a
> separate e-mail.

This is great!  I tried to take a look at the code over the weekend, and
will try to look at it more over the next few days.

I think the reason the coredump is happening is because the temp adjustment
window is being created as a top level window.  I think this is causing
the error -- I'd like to try creating it as a dialog window instead.

Also, the re-draw when you slide the temperature causes alot of flicker.
I looked at how the color change was implemented, and it seems that it was
necessary to destroy, and re-create the buttons (one per element,118)
for each color change, which is expensive.  I looked at how to possibly
perform the color change without deleting/recreating the buttons, but
couldn't come up with anything.  I'm going to look at using a different
object (maybe a label, or else that's small) that allows it's color to
change without the destruction/recreation, and still be able to have a
click handler attached to it.

Thanks,

"Think determanisticly, act randomly."
    -- Unknown