Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: from this week's lwn]

Doug Loss wrote:

> Roger R Dingledine wrote:
>
> > Open Source in Education
> >
> > Intuitive Networks (WASHINGTON), a subsidiary of The George Washington University, introduced Prometheus, open source online
> > learning software. Prometheus is now or soon will be in use at many universities around North America including:
> >                                   Columbia Business School in New York City.
> >                                   Rochester Institute of Technology.
> >                                   University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies.
> >                                   The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
> >

> You  can see Prometheus at <http://prometheus.com/index.html>.  It is evidently intended for university use.  On the website (and in
> Linux Weekly News) they mention that Prometheus is Open Source, but they never talk about licenses, never give a download site that
> I could find, and talk somewhat about "licensing" the software.  So I'm unclear about just what the status of Prometheus is.  I'm
> not persuaded that it's free software yet.
>
> > MIT Sloan School of Management will be using the open-source ArsDigita Community System for its online course management
> > application.
>
> You can see ArsDigita at <http://www.arsdigita.com/>.  ArsDigita is downloadable (binaries for Solaris, W2K, and Win32 only, source
> for others), but seems to require an Oracle 8i RDBMS to run.  It seems to be aimed mostly at businesses.  I think Sloan is probably
> trying to bend it to fit their needs.
>
> --
> Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
> Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid
> Bloomsburg University     to laugh.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Voltaire

Closely tied to arsdigita is http://www.openacs.org. It runs on most databases, The version I am currently working with uses
PostgreSQL. MySQL support is in the making. It supports plugin modules, one of which is an education module.

Michael Williams
Haywood County Schools
http://www.k12linux.org