Re: Database for Software List

----- Original Message -----
From: <bickiia@earlham.edu>
To: <seul-edu@seul.org>
Sent: dimanche 26 septembre 1999 20:47
Subject: Re: Database for Software List

> Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY <bill@mail.tasis.ch> wrote:
> >I would go a little further and break it down into:
> > Preschool
> > Grades 1-5
> > Grades 6-8
> > Grades 9-13
> > University
> >Because each of these grade levels are seen as
> >pedagocally different in many places (not allways grades
> >6-8), but in anycase, these teachers can then better use
> >similar programs.
>
> I'd stick to grades, like explicitly saying, for example, grades 3
> through 7.  I think internationally there's a fair concensus on grades
> starting with 1st grade at age 6.  You're definately right that
> preschool should be included.
>
> But even in the US schools don't agree to whether junior high/middle
> school begins at grades 5 or 6, or ends at 8 or 9.  Internationally the
> grades are broken up significantly differently.
>
>   -- Ian

Don't forget software for "Special Education needs" and adult education. If
you could look at things by age as well. I'm thinking that parents around
the world may not be able to understand the grades thing at all - however
obvious it may seem to us here. I certainly don't see how grades map to Key
Stages in the British ed. system.

Roman.