Sun "thin client" for the classroom

I just saw a standard filler segment on our local late news.  The
subject they showed was a classroom being run from a central server and
all student files and profiles are linked to an access card which can be
used at ANY workstation.  The workstations are, according to the story,
little more than monitor and keyboard with an "access" module.  As best
I can figure, the device is the new Sun Ray appliance.
(http://sun.com/products/sunray1/;)

Does this approach seem familiar to anyone here?  The really nice thing
is the system is SUN's technology, which suggests it is UNIX, a serious
potential boost to LINUX in classrooms.

I hope to hear more on the trials in place elsewhere soon.  Sun has a
good marketing team, can we piggyback on their work?

Bill