Re: [seul-edu] DTP standards

On Sun, 03 Sep 2000, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 01:41 PM 9/3/00 EDT, Douglas Loss wrote:
> >Actually, L Prevett's Math Teacher's Guide is in preparation
> and
> >predates the School Networking guide by a few weeks.  It's
> not
> >yet available though, so which one comes out first is still
> an
> >open question.
>
> Silly of me to forget this, especially since I've used it
> myself recently as
> an example of a promising project. Perhaps Bill could add it
> to the list at
>
>         http://www.seul.org/edu/docs/docprojects.html
>
> which is the list on which I based my earlier comments.

Actually, I've been thinking of removing the "Educational
HOWTOs" section from the projects page, as it now has its own
section under Documentation.  Perhaps I should put a pointer on
the projects page to the Documentation section and we can list
the ongoing documentation efforts there.

> >Well, DocBook isn't desktop publishing, in that any SGML
> markup
> >is decidedly _not_ presentation-specific.  It's more semantic
> >markup that can be converted into valid presentation formats
> >(LaTeX, HTML, PostScript, etc.) via the appropriate
> convertors.
>
> I don't mean to quibble over terminology, and I'm sure you
> don't mean to
> either. I am trying to distinguish between the process of
> creating the
> *content* of a document (the manuscript, in olden terms) and
> the process of
> converting a manuscript into a *formatted* publication.
> [...]
>
> Is there some different, short term that you think better
> captures the
> distinction I want to make in this context?

I misunderstood you use of the term, yes.  The dichotomy here is
between content and presentation, so perhaps we can talk of
"content management" for the creation of the ur-document and
"presentation control" of the conversion of said document to
end-user-friendly form.

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.