Re: [seul-edu] DTP standards

Comments below.

At 01:41 PM 9/3/00 EDT, Douglas Loss wrote:
>Actually, L Prevett's Math Teacher's Guide is in preparation and
>predates the School Networking guide by a few weeks.  It's not
>yet available though, so which one comes out first is still an
>open question.

Silly of me to forget this, especially since I've used it myself recently as
an example of a promising project. Perhaps Bill could add it to the list at

        http://www.seul.org/edu/docs/docprojects.html

which is the list on which I based my earlier comments.

>Well, DocBook isn't desktop publishing, in that any SGML markup
>is decidedly _not_ presentation-specific.  It's more semantic
>markup that can be converted into valid presentation formats
>(LaTeX, HTML, PostScript, etc.) via the appropriate convertors.

I don't mean to quibble over terminology, and I'm sure you don't mean to
either. I am trying to distinguish between the process of creating the
*content* of a document (the manuscript, in olden terms) and the process of
converting a manuscript into a *formatted* publication.

The markup language that DocBook employs is a tool for the second process,
and I was using the shorthand "desktop publishing" as a concise way to refer
to this process. It seemed a fitting term to me, because the DocBook part is
more of a substitute for what I used to do in Pagemaker, when I edited a
print magazine, than what I, and my content creators, used to do in WriteNow
(Mac), WordStar (PC), or other word processors of the time.

Is there some different, short term that you think better captures the
distinction I want to make in this context?

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com