Re: Conference preparation [was Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Linux Expo Toronto conferences]]

> Yes, I'm responding to a three week old message.  I don't want to
> hear it.
Well, I'm replying to a response to a three week old message... what
does that make me? ;)

> Bill and I have signed the contract to get us a .org booth at
> the New York show, and I've agreed to be on some panel dealing
> with education in some form (I'm unclear on just what it's to be
> about; I gather it's about advocating Linux to the educational
> community.).
Helloooo :)

I've been lurking here for a while, but I thought this would be a good
time to speak up, as I'm the one who asked Doug to be on the panel.

My name's Jessica; I moderated a panel at LWCE SJC called "Open Source
and Education" which was fairly well attended considering that it was
at 9am ;) We got some great discussions going about the relationships
of open source to education and vice versa, and they finally had to
kick us out of the room so that the next speaker could set up. *grin*

IDG asked me to put together another panel for LWCE NY, and I've filled
out the virtual paperwork and am waiting for a reply.  I've asked Doug
to sit on it, as well as Jeff Knox from LITC (hi Jeff), David Mandel
from PLUG, Greg Sanders from Themes.org and Emmett Plant from
Linux.com.  They've all graciously accepted the invitation, making my
job way easier. :) Now I'm just waiting on confirmation from IDG.

Sky Events seemed to be very interested in inviting those of us who
were on the SJC panel to any of the Linux Expos we wanted to go to,
beginning with Linux Expo Canada in Toronto. I've emailed the lady
who spoke with me at LWCE SJC a couple of times and she hasn't
responded; I'm not sure where to go from there.  If anyone has any
contacts within SkyEvents, maybe you could help me out.

As far as the LWCE NY panel goes, the title is "Education and the Open
Source Community."  My aim for the panel is to advocate some of the
ways the community can help education, whether they be LUGS,
individuals, or groups like SEUL.  I'm wide open for suggestions as
to (a) how to accomplish that and (b) what other topics to include.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all... (yes, I'm from the South *g*)

Regards,

Jessica.