Re: [seul-edu] App idea: classroom permissions manager

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Hoffman <rid00654@ride.ri.net>
To: seul-edu@seul.org <seul-edu@seul.org>; gringey@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu
<gringey@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu>
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2000 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] App idea: classroom permissions manager

>Gail,

>> Also:  We are trying to use StarOffice5.2 with our students.  We are
>> experiencing some frustration with the program locking-up and not
>> displaying the graphics inserted into a new text document.  I would
>> like to know if any of you are more familiar with StarOffice5.2 and
>> would mentor me through the learning process or recommend some books
>> that teach StarOffice5.2 to me so I can teach my students.
>> Thanks.

>I have been testing configurations for word processing on linux.
StarOffice
>seems unnecessarily huge and unwieldy for classroom use.  You should check
>and see if Abiword can suit your needs.  So far it seems very light and
>stable, and it should do almost everything my 7th graders will need to do.
>During the course of this school year, KOffice may come into its own.
KWord
>is designed to have strong desktop publishing features, but it is still in
>active development.  You should definitely check out the current version,
>though.

>--Tom

Gail,
    Don't overlook WordPerfect. You can get the full licensed Linux version
on CD with manuals for under $30, or download it without manuals for free
from Corel. It looks just like the Win/Mac version and works great in my
classroom, even while running on 7 machines at a time from an old 486
server.

Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com