[seul-edu] Math Teachers Guide - Update

The first draft of the the Math Teachers Guide is 'finished'.
I ran out of steam towards the end -- and it shows -- I just wanted
to get some initial closure on the document as quickly as possible.
The document is still very tentative - I would describe it in its
current form as just 'smoke from more interesting fires that are
still to be uncovered'. Still, even in its current form, some have
found it useful.

http://math.cochise.cc.az.us/math/K12/teacher_guide/outline.html

A new link has been added under Mathematics Applications/
Elementary Mathematics Lesson Plans. This is a great link
from NCTM with lots of other resources:

    http://illuminations.nctm.org/index2.html

I haven't found any mention of Linux at NCTM, but most of the
content is generic and and can be adapted for use with Linux.
For instance, all of the web sites and links seem to work with
Linux browsers.

I've put together some labs that illustrate how Linux can be
used to download data, process the data, and display results.
Linux is especially useful when handling large data files.

I ran into a brick wall in the section on "Programming and
Mathematics" so I took it out for the moment (see a post that
follows this one.)

The section on Class Management Tools is small. Most of the
applications I found were web based. I checked out
Steve Tonnesen's site and it really looks great.

What I will do now is go through and rewrite each section.
I need to go through all of the weekly reports and make sure
that I've included all of the applications relavent to math
posted there. I also want to go back and reread the threads
initiated by the post from Chris Hobbs way back in July.
I want to make sure I've addressed all the issues raised there.

Contributions
A format similar to the one that Roman Suzi uses is helpful
when submitting links to apps, (but whatever.)

   Download:
   Homepage:
   Development Version:
   Author(s):
   License:
   Category:

If your message/discussion requires 'math symbols', then
I still have the WIMS forum for the teachers guide at

http://math.cochise.cc.az.us/~wims/wims.cgi

It's there if you need it.
Click Forums. You will need to register first (click Register)
then use the password: 'hour26' to register to the message board.

Regards to all.

L. Prevett
Mathematics Instructor
Cochise College, Sierra Vista, AZ, US