Re: [seul-edu] Calendaring

Your program is great.
Thanks a lot.

Please find here some answer to your questions and anslo a question of mine.

I do agree with your level of events.

> I've never used Microsoft Exchange's calendaring application,

I do because in the company I work in (the largest Belgian bank) , even if I
do a lot of lobbying about OSS osftware, they have chosen M$.

> but my
> understanding is that you can do things like:
>
> - View someone else's calendar to see when they are available.  There
>   must be some permissions control on this to determine who can see who's
>   calendar?

Yes precisely. The permissions are controlled on a user basis (I think there
may be groups but I never used that feature if it exists)
to whom you give read and/or write access. Needless to say this seems great
but is buggy (even if usable)

> - Invite others to a meeting and an available time slot from everybody's
>   calendar will be found and scheduled.

YES. In principle this is the way it works. And a linked mail can be sent
asking for confirmation by the expected attendees that is even processed
automatically when it comes back to update the meating attendance list (or
something similar). Again, the feature seems great but they do not work
exactly as advertised (but this is something we know: advetising for marvelous
things...and then either doing them in a buggy way or not doing them fully, or
fully well)

> I'm not sure how useful these would be in a school setting.

I don't know either, but some could be useful.

> Teachers may
> want to be able to view a student's timetable.  I know here in British
> Columbia we have a Personal Planning curriculum where students have to
> maintain a timetable as part of their coursework.
>
> Okay, if anybody has read this far, I've made some advances in my calendar
> program (http://k12admin.cmsd.bc.ca/):

I'll try it.

> 1.  Daily time schedule now works
> 2.  Recurring events show up in the daily time schedule
> 3.  Conflicts are flagged (in the daily time schedule, monthly and yearly
>     calendars)
> 4.  Graphic numerals are now an option (currently disabled, as I can't
>     get my proxy server to cache graphics that require authentication
>     information)
> 5.  Times can be entered in 24 hour or am/pm format.
>
> Steve.

Here are my questions:

I definitively want to use K12ADMIN that I find great and have it used in the
school where I have installed computers all running only Linux. But I have had
troubles.

I have installed the latest debian (2.2 potato) on which I have tried to
install K12admin without success.
If I remember well, installing the package was first tedious (this is MY
problem) even with the easy packaging system of debian because I had not at
the time any internet connection and I missed many packages, but also therer
was a problem of incompatibility of some libraries (both when I tried to
install the .deb or compile from scratch).

Have I done anything wrong ? Could you help me a little ?

Best regards,

And thanks again for the great product you have developped.

Nicolas Pettiaux
begin:vcard
n:Pettiaux;Nicolas
tel;home:+32.2.675.34.40
tel;work:+32.2.565.39.71
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;Avenue du pérou 29;Bruxelles;;1000;Belgique
version:2.1
email;internet:nicolas.pettiaux@linuxbe.org
title:Dr
fn:Nicolas Pettiaux