Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Computers in the classroom]

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:00:28PM +0000, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:
> > Seul in general is not seeking sponsors, at least not in the form of
> > monetary donations.
>
> What about full distros ( the 6 CD's , sources and all stuff )
> for those poor GPL developers like me ?  :)

Z has already offered to send some items like this to interested
seul-edu members.

In fact, he just sent another mail offering them. :)

Z, would you mind if Doug added a little note to that effect on the
seul-edu page?

> > We wouldn't mind it if a company decided to fund a seul member to work on
> > a particular piece of code; but we don't want to officially be connected
> > to the deal.
>
> Why? The other part of Open Source movements are free developers and
> I think Linux distros are not nasty things for them. Specially
> when Red Hat distros prizes rockets, and dollar is so expensive.
>
> I don't want to start a thread arguing about developers motivations,
> but It's clear that the happier they're the more they produce.

I agree that people who are paid are often happier about doing things.
I don't understand what you're confused about.

The motivation for seul remaining entirely non-moneyrelated is
a) i don't want to deal with the financial/tax/legal/etc issues
b) we're currently on MITnet, which doesn't like for-profit enterprises.
   i want to stay very far on the right side of the line.

which doesn't mean that i have any problems with party B giving money
to party C. I just don't want to be in the middle. And I'd like to keep
statements like "give us money" off our webpage.

does that make things clearer?

--roger