Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Computers in the classroom]

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:19:36AM +0000, Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:
> Another point is if SEUL should provide or not GPL CD with
> all Linux software for education. If you don't want to mess
>  with money
> you can't sell/distribute such CD's, do we need another organization?
> Do normal distros distribute such software ?

We wouldn't want to sell/distribute such CDs ourselves anyway. It's too
much of a hassle to put that sort of mechanism in place.

I have already spoken with the cheapbytes people (regarding selling an
Independence CD if they ever come up with something they consider worth
selling). I'm sure they would be ok with handling an educational CD for
us. Linuxmall also expressed willingness to do this sort of thing.

Overall cost would be several dollars a CD. I think if we have CDs we
want to distribute we should leave the distribution to people who already
do this sort of thing.

> Such things, like CD's, are very nice for pedestrian people, things
> that people can touch and see.

Agreed.

We've got a lot of software, seul-based and otherwise, that could be
useful for an educational cd. Are people working on this already? (I
suspect people are, somewhere.) If not, would you be interested in
throwing together a first version of this, Manuel?

I bet we could get Mandrake and Suse and Redhat (among others) to
include the educational software cd in their boxed sets, with just a
bit of advocacy, if we can come up with something that's at all useful.
(Everybody wins.)

The only trick is that somebody actually has to sit down and do it.

--Roger