Re: Packaging edu software (was: Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Computers in the classroom])

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Doug Loss wrote:
> I think we're talking about two different things.  SEUL does many if not
> most of what SourceForge does already.  What I was thinking of was
> something like your WNPP, which you said was maintained in BTS.  Is this
> something we could emulate fairly easily via php and mysql, for example?
> What does BTS do for WNPP?

Well, if you want to see the BTS, see:

	http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

And the WNPP is at:

	http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=wnpp&archive=no

It's not designed around an RDMBS, and so cannot take the sort of general
query that I envision it should be able to take.  It seems to be more of a
problem than a solution.  My problem is that since the WNPP is in the BTS,
how do I mine the data out of it that I need?  I am told that there is
something that could be done at the LDAP layer that would help the fellow
who takes care of the BTS solve my problem, but they've only just once
brought up the issue (that is the BTS guy and the guy in charge of the
Debian LDAP scripts) and so far haven't looked further into the problem or
how to fix it.

As for the SourceForge suggestion, it is apparently being packaged for
Debian (and therefore presumably by other distros?), and SourceForge does
include a bug-tracking facility.  Hence, if SourceForge is sufficiently
modular, you may be able to use just that facility.  Besides that there is
also Bugzilla to consider (Mozilla's bug-tracking system).  These are
probably both better-designed bug-tracking systems than BTS if you're
starting from scratch.

I have never had to shop for a bug-tracking system myself, so I only know
what I've heard from others about these (which is very little so far ...
I just started asking around since you inquired around #debian-devel
at irc.openprojects.net about the BTS :)

Ben