Re: [seul-edu] LWCE NY proposal deadline changed!

Doug Loss  wrote:
> To be honest, I think this may be our best bet.  LWCE is
> very much commercially oriented; we don't really fit
> there, or reach the people we're looking for. Besides,
> we're essentially preaching to the choir at these shows.
> I think our efforts would be much more useful at
> educational conferences like FETC, NCEITA, etc.  After
> all, the people that attend _those_ sorts of conferences
> are the ones who will make the decisions to adopt Linux
> in the schools, not the people we see at the various
> LWCEs.

I agree with Doug, but I do think we need to Preach to the
Choir on the notion of why and how to move Linux into the
schools.  At LWE this year I tossed out a quick and dirty
approach:  One Penguin in every school doing one job really
well.  It has been recieved very well. I would like to
continue this as a selling point, but it takes more than
one voice to be heard.

I was very pleased to hear that the chief of Red Hat said
we need to get Linux in the schools as he presented his
closing speech to the attendees of Linux World Expo last
week.  His comments were, with SuSE pushing their offering
of Linux to all High schools, very timely for us, and a
validation of our efforts.  Each goup has its own reason
and agenda, but we can  take a unified front towards gettin
Linux in schools.
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7015137.html
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux/SuSE_Linux_Free_4HS_01_Story_01.html

I am looking to the possibility of appearing at the CUE
conference this fall (www.cue.org) to sell the notion of
Linux in the school.  I need to have one or two apps with
good utility to educators to sell this notion there.  If we
can have success there, (and even if not), I would like to
see a Linux presence at other education programs and
conferences, both as show booths and presentations.

Some examples of things to offer:

There is a project  serving 25 instances of Win98 via
Win4Lin from a 4-way Linux box to a bunch of X terminals,
allowing one Linux Server to provide 25 virtual desktops
runnung on a "single windows session" developed by Kirk
Rheinlander.  (This is anecdotal, btw).  The hardware can
be reduced for the xterms, and the users are still able to
run Windows as well as Linux in the Lab.

There is administrative software to help schools to
coordinate and run such mundane things as grades, student
records and attendance.  Records can be updated via the
web, or across a WAN or even across a LAN as the needs and
policies require.

There is the Cafeteria Management app that was floating
around SEUL-edu some time ago.  I don't know the current
status or functionality, but I am sure it could be tuned to
presentation quality if needed.

We could offer easy email service options to the schools
that do NOT require the expense of a Microsoft Exchange
Server, higher uptime, better security, and full
compatibility with Apple, Windows and Linux users.

This is a short list, and these are not by any means the
only options around.  If some one with the time to toss out
a proposal for some sort of presentation today (Friday 7
September), perhaps we can get IDG to see the value of
adding a session or track offering that reflects the value,
to the Linux Business World, of enhancing and encouraging
the use of Linux in the educational setting.  If IDG will
listen, then business will follow suit, and we will get
education dialed in to Linux.

Here is the primary page, just do it!

http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/conf-sub-06.shtml
LinuxWorld/New York 2002 Call for Papers

Bill