Re: [seul-edu] LWCE NY proposal deadline changed!

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jessica Sheffield wrote:

> Regarding LWCE, we seem to have several options (I'm emailing this cause it's
> my feeling that most people won't be able to make it onto IRC to discuss
> there):
>
> 1) Individual speaker proposals - these might be folks like Bill, Doug, and
> Harry talking about their projects, and folks like Chris talking about his
> experiences in the classroom;

I just submited a proposal about Corbett Elementary School (I will paste
in the boxes I filled out at the bottom of this email).

> 2) Discussion panels - something along the lines of "The Business Case for
> Linux in Schools" - might be good to have a university-level panel in here too.
> I'd be happy to put said panels together, provided people help out with the
> business angle on it, as I'm not very knowledgeable in that area. (Joe! Help!)

I would love to be part of the pannel.  I will be at LWE NYC (already
planning on flying up), and OSEF (Lawyer cooperating...) should have it's
tax exempt status by then.

> 3) Actual presentations (like sales pitches) with slides and stuff
> demonstrating how supporting Linux in education is beneficial to not only
> business in general, but Linux companies specifically (teach 'em Linux when
> they're young and they'll buy your Linux product later on, etc.) Again,
> something I'd be happy to help out with as long as a few experts sign on ;)

I don't know if IDG would really like this type of presentation or not.
They at least sounded really Anti selling anything, even an idea...

> In the past, proposals along the lines of (1) have been turned down, and only a
> couple along the lines of (2) have been accepted (and none for LWCE SF). My
> feeling is that we need to go down the (3) route more to get accepted. Sad but
> true.

I can assist on any of the above proposal options, even #3.

> The other option, of course, is to blow off the LWCEs as too industry-oriented
> and focus on smaller Linux conferences, education conferences, etc. The
> advantage, of course, is that we're much more likely to get in; the
> disadvantage is that they're nowhere near as high-profile.

I personaly would like to do both.  I am basicaly calling this my year of
confernces.  OSEF should be tax exempt soon, which means I can start
fundraising, and Corbett was just awared National School Library Media
program of the year, which could not have happend without the GNU/Linux
based technology that we have introduced to the school.

> Thoughts? Questions? Thrown fruit?
>
> Jessica.

LWCE proposal:

bio:
Harry McGregor is a successful Network Engineering consultant,
specializing in educational environments.  He has over 7 years experience
with integration of Linux and other NOS products, and their use in K12 and
higher education.  His latest work includes the founding of OSEF, a
non-profit dedicated to enhancing technology for K12 education through the
use of Open Source technologies.  He is also an instructor in Linux in
Unix at the community college level

Company bio:
The Open Source Education Foundation is a small non-profit organization
founded almost two years ago to assist K-12 schools with the integration
of Open Source Technologies, including GNU/Linux.  OSEF believes strongly
in the power of Open Source to level the educational technologies playing
field, and it's role in bridging the digital divide.  OSEF is working to
support the development of applications and hardware that is uniquely
useful for the K12 environment.

The session:
The session is an account of Linux on the desktop/server in a K-5 school.
Due to Corbett's integration technology in education, the ALA recently
awarded it National School Library Media Program of the Year.  Issues
include interfacing with school personnel; problems with existing
networks; applications, and volunteers.

What they will learn:
Attendees will learn about the hardware, software, and political issues
involved with integration of GNU/Linux into a K12 educational environment.
Presenting GNU/Linux in a favorable light to education; what applications
are available for the desktop; what applications will be available soon;
running existing "mandatory" programs thru WINE; reengineering a network
for exponential growth; management of users.

The session type I picked with Systems Admin track, with the type of
session being a case study.

Possible BOF:
GNU/Linux in Education - Where we are, Where to do we have to go?

Bof description:
This BOF session will be a group discussion of the status of GNU/Linux in
K12 education, ad the future of GNU/Linux in education. Also covered will
be the direction we need to go to further development and adoption of
GNU/Linux in education

Extra comments/info:
This BOF session will be a group discussion of the status of GNU/Linux in
K12 education, ad the future of GNU/Linux in education. Also covered will
be the direction we need to go to further development and adoption of
GNU/Linux in education

> =====
> * In real life, reann de l'arbre du lac is:   *
> * Jessica Lee Sheffield * starlady@linux.com  *
> * Linux Groupie * Education Advocate * Techie *

		Harry