Re: [seul-edu] LWCE NY proposal deadline changed!

On Friday 07 September 2001 08:53, Jessica Sheffield wrote:
> Regarding LWCE, we seem to have several options (I'm
> emailing this cause it's my feeling that most people
> won't be able to make it onto IRC to discuss there):
>
> 1) Individual speaker proposals - these might be folks
> like Bill, Doug, and Harry talking about their projects,
> and folks like Chris talking about his experiences in the
> classroom;
>
> 2) Discussion panels - something along the lines of "The
> Business Case for Linux in Schools" - might be good to
> have a university-level panel in here too. I'd be happy
> to put said panels together, provided people help out
> with the business angle on it, as I'm not very
> knowledgeable in that area. (Joe! Help!)
>
> 3) Actual presentations (like sales pitches) with slides
> and stuff demonstrating how supporting Linux in education
> is beneficial to not only business in general, but Linux
> companies specifically (teach 'em Linux when they're
> young and they'll buy your Linux product later on, etc.)
> Again, something I'd be happy to help out with as long as
> a few experts sign on ;)

Here is my offering to LWE as a paper proposal:

SPEAKER BIO:

Bill Ries-Knight is a successful computer technology
consultant providing technical planning and support to
small and medium businesses for over 10 years. Bill has
worked with desktop computers using all modern operationg
systems, and is now working to move local businesses and
Schools to Linux, teaching the basics of Linux as needed.
Bill started the Stockton LUG, and LinuxHelpers as a way to
learn and help others with Linux. Bill's interest in
educational uses of Linux is the direct result of being the
spouse of an educator. He has seen the need for affordable
and viable software in schools for hardware that is rarely
state of the art.

COMPANY INFO:

LinuxHelpers is an organization started in 1999 to assist
with coordinating the availibilty of skilled persons,
software and hardware to help schools begin using Linux and
other types of Open Source Technologies. LinuxHelpers is
concerned with matching all the resouces availible to those
places that need them at a minimal expense. The belief is,
Open Source Technology will allow students to learn more
about computing and will help educational facilities to run
with better security, better stability and higher
efficency, providing for better opportunites to get funds
to the classroom.

PROPOSED TITLE FOR SESSION OR TUTORIAL

Why Every School Needs A Penguin

DESCRIPTION OF WHAT SESSION OR TUTORIAL WILL BE ABOUT

A presentation demonstrating what education needs, and how
to justify Linux in every school. Points include: Why Linux
is needed in the schools to train tommorrows users and
programmers, to provide a secure environment for
administrative needs, and to control the runaway costs
associated with proprietary closed souce software.

WHAT ATTENDEES WILL LEARN

Attendees will learn how to see the Educational Facility as
a different business model. They should come away with an
understanding of how to approach and present materials to
the different levels involved in education, from the
Classroom where the teacher uses apps to the district
level, where the absolute control lies.

***Birds of a Feather Session

DESCRIPTION OF WHAT BOF WILL BE ABOUT

A meeting sharing the needs of Education for Linux. Why
they need Linux, what is out there for education, and how
to get it in the hands of educators.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

I think this presentation could also be considered as a
panel discussion covering the same information, and
including a summary of "how we did it" from a few groups
that have been successful in implementing Linux solutions
in Education.