[seul-edu] Linux for Georgia Schools

Hello SEUL-edu!

My name is Aaron Ruscetta and I just wanted to introduce myself as a new
member on the list. I'm here to help support a recently formed Atlanta
Linux Enthusiasts (ALE) SIG that has come together to promote and expand
the use of Open Source and Free (as in Free Speech) computer and IT
systems [aka Linux & GNU]  in Georgia's various private and public
schools. Given that our State just ranked #50 in the list of 51 State SAT
score averages, we are at least assured that our efforts can do no harm,
though we clearly have our work against the monopoly interests cut out
for us. (-: BTW, it was Washington DC that came in last at #51, but that
statistic isn't so much of a surprise. ;-).

We have about 12 people in our initial group, including a few parents
with children still in K12 schooling, and we have a nice mix of skills
and experience on the project.  This group has met a couple of times so
far and we have noted some general directions for processes and goals.
Our current concern is to formalize those ideas to provide focus and
consensus for our efforts.

Of the Linux in Education sites and organizations that I have researched
so far, SEUL-edu appears to be one of the larger, more active and most
organized around. We expect that your group's standing work will provide
some excellent informational resources to help us move our symbiotic
organization forward.

At the moment, we have two organizational items in progress: First, we
are working on a Mission Statement to clarify our overall intentions. As
an adjunct to that, we are initiating research and data collection to
better determine how computers are presently being used and/or abused in
various school environments so that we can precisely target the
requirements and goals for our Linux and Open Source systems.

We expect ample ideas for framing our Mission Statement can be had by
simply looking at the statements of similar organizations. However,
before our members go diving too far into the SEUL-edu Report Archives
and other research sites, I'm hoping someone here can direct us to
existing research and documentation that specifically addresses the
issues of Computer Use and Applications in K-12 educational environments.

Any and all help for our fledgling group will be hugely appreciated!

Sincere thanks for your attention,
peace
Aaron Ruscetta
Linux for GA Schools

( LINGAS? ...I think we also need a little help with a name that forms a
better acronym, too! ;-)