Re: [seul-edu] LinuxForKids.org

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 08:31:19AM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> > On a similar note, whatever happened to the Kidsgames mailing list run
> > by SMLUC?  Did Jeff just lose interest?  That had some useful
> > discussions on occasion.
>
> Last I heard SMLUC's server had some problems.

That's the last I heard - back in January they sent this:

Subject: [kidsgames] Security of the SMLUC server has been severely
compromised
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:49:27 -0600 (CST)
From: jeff@smluc.org
To: various-recipients@smluc.org

The Southern Missouri Linux User's Club server has been what is commonly
referred to, as "rooted". As soon as this message goes out.... it will
be taken OFF LINE.

This means the following email lists will no longer work:

ohi@smluc.org
oacc@smluc.org
5thworld@smluc.org
gnulogo@smluc.org
linops@smluc.org
qgo@smluc.org

I have requested another site to receive emails to these and all other
smluc.org email and cache them until I can get a server back up to handle
them.... If that other site does not choose to handle the mail, then all
email to the smluc.org domain will BOUNCE until I can get this fix. Which
could be awhile given current circumstances.

I apologize for this inconvenience, however I feel it is the only
professional, safe, and prudent thing to do.

Thanks for you perseverance in this matter.

If you have a shell account on SMLUC.ORG... and you need personal data
from that account.... I will endeavor to save all home files, you will
have to get them from me at another time. I hope you all have alternate
email address' you can switch to.

And to the one who did the rooting... congratulations... you just made MY
LIFE a WHOLE lot more difficult then it already was.... now go do
something productive......

I *think* I know who you are.... you didn't remove all the log files.

[some address details snipped]

Sincerely

SMLUC.ORG's beleaguered administrator.

-
kidsgames@smluc.org -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe kidsgames"
in the body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org

- Richard

--

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, Linux Format

Join us at LinuxExpo UK - 9-10 October 2002 - Olympia2,
   London - http://www.linuxexpouk.co.uk

service.