Re: XFree will fork to remain free

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> This, Qt, and Mozilla seem to be signalling the beginning of a significant
> change in how the free software community is dealing with the world in
> general.  I think this is a good thing, and the fact that it all happens in
> a short period of time means that people really are serious about these
> things.

This is going to be a very exciting summer.  We need to be sure that we do
not screw it up. I have a feeling that the screwups are going to get wider
press that the successes. As for organizations, yeah, this is what FSF and
SPI are for although their are some subtle differences in their
philosophy. (SPI is more tolerant of commercial profit from free software
than FSF is).

We now have all of the components we need for a completely viable,
well integrated, free software platform. The momentum is building.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org

===
===