Re: XFree will fork to remain free

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> Is there a group that is keeping track of these issues, and helping the
> free software world move forward?  Isn't this what the SPI is supposed to
> be for?  It would be interesting to know how much or how little the SPI has
> had to do with these events.

SPI had much to do in Bruce's last days with the organization.  Netscape's
license is designed to be compatable with Debian's Social Contract. As for
coordination, it looks like it is happening on its own between the players
themselves. The free software community is finally being taken seriously
(thanks in large part to Netscape and O'Reilly).  At about the time that
Bruce was speaking in San Jose at SVLUG there was considerable work going
on between Netscape and SPI.  I think Linus might have been taking part in
those conversations as well.  Much of what we are seeing now was laid out
a couple of months ago.  I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org

===
===