Re: Flame

> arma@seul.org wrote:
> >
> I wish you had stepped in a little earlier.  Before I lost it and went
> off.
>
> I apologise for my attitude, but I was a the systems analyst and one of
> the sysarch's on a multi-million dollar software project when I was in
> military intelligence.  I worked on the project for a little under 6
> years.  I know how to develop a good software product.  Part of my task
> was to instruct the programmers on how to make the package idiot proof.
> G.I. proof as we put it.
>
> I can handle a little bit of wasting time on George's part, but it got
> me furious when he told the guy he's doing it this way and that's it
> because he has "larger issues".  The guy seemed to be leading up to
> taking over the task of putting together a good initrd for the project
> but George wouldn't hear of it.

That guy is me, your new colleague in the install part.

And I am still mad about George believing than Bogomips are a test of
the quality of a kernel.  In this matter I think I am _far_ more
competent than him.  I track the development kernels since about 2
years so I have made well over a hundred kernel compilings (he tells
he has made only one sice using Debian).  The reason I track them is
investigating the use of a modular Linux kernel in a distribution for
the end user (I started this well before SEUL was created).  And I am
certainly not fool enough to believe than two kernels with same
Bogomips are equal nor to mix Bogomips with paging and swappping.

All his arguing in the kernel issue can be resumed to this: "if it
comes with Debian then it is better than sliced bread".

My thinking is than the Debian project at least in the 1.x version has
been set in making a good distribution not necessarily a user friendly
one and they have paid very little attention to beginners and still
less to end users.  An end user does NOT have to recompile his kernel.
The Debian kernel has all the traces of a kernel who is aimed for
people who will be able and have time to recompile it.  It cannot be
used by an ISP due to minimal networking and it is far from being lean
so it will suck for a user with an 8M machine.  That is not a problem
if the user recompiles.  For SEUL it is unusable.

> I've seen him do this a dozen times this week.  If you show him he's
> wrong he just stops responding to your email.  I've seen him do the same
> thing in the Debian lists.
>
> I'm used to putting together a blueprint of what we expect from the
> software, assigning tasks in different areas, and going to work on it.
> George seems to just want to slap a SEUL sticker on Debian with a better
> install program.  He doesn't want to get input and he wants to handle
> every part of the project.

And I have to say than I am absolutely against the slapping of a SEUL
stick to Debian.  Do you think it makes sense SEUL no matter how alpha
being a distribution with SIX web servers and the most esoteric
progreamming languages while at the same time pathetically weak in end
user software?

And about the kernel issue it seems it is in my area and not in his.

I am sorry for beginning this way, with flames.  Tomorrow I will post
about a plan of action in the install part.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

===
===