Re: SEUL: Documentation: info & postscript

Micah Yoder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've come across two somewhat annoying documentation formats.  I'm
> wondering:
>
> 1.  What do you all do to view them, and
> 2.  How can we make them better in SEUL?
>
> First, the GNU info program, by which one is supposed to read the GCC
> and GDB docs.  Personally, I'm pretty frustrated with the thing.  I've
> done part of the "tutorial" and learned some of its basic features (but
> that was several days ago so I'd have to do it again should I need to
> remember them), but then got fairly turned off.  Why should I have to
> learn a sadistically unintuitive program to view the docs?  This very
> much discourages RTFM.

I agree, navigating info docs is a pain.

HTML makes much more sense, IMO.

Check out:

http://iamwww.unibe.ch/work/docs/info2html/info2html.html

> Also, PostScript.  I just downloaded EZWGL, the GUI toolkit, and figured
> I'd play with it some.  It comes with PS docs.  I have two programs to
> view PS files: one that comes with RedHat's X distribution, and then
> bmv, which I downloaded and compiled.  Both of them have somewhat
> awkward browsing, and I usually have a very hard time getting the width
> of a page to fit on the screen.  So I have to scroll right and left with
> every line I read.  Needless to say, that is not cool.

Amulet and gtk+ looked the most interesting to me.

To view postscript on-screen, I tend to use "ghostview -dpi 150" or
pageview (on a sun).  Sometimes I fall back on a printer - sigh.

> What do you all do with PostScript?  Print it, or is there a better
> viewing utility?  Or better yet, a way to convert it to ASCII or HTML?

I believe ghostscript comes with a ps2ascii, that kind of works.
Obviously there has to be -some- information loss in such a transform.
I don't like to use it for viewing postscript tho - I never feel quite
sure that I'm seeing "enough" of the document.

I suspect "pdf" was introduced because "ps" was a pain for on-screen
perusal.  Not that pdf seems that much better.  :)