SEUL: Re: (xterm-oid) GGI emulator for X (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From: Steffen Seeger <seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de>
Subject: Re: (xterm-oid) GGI emulator for X
To: lso8219@cs.rit.edu (Loren S Osborn)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:40:40 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello Loren,

> Hi,
>
> My name is Loren Osborn, and I'm helping work on the "Simple Eund-User Linux"
> distribution (SEUL).  This is a Linux distribution geared toward novice
> users that would otherwise feel comfortable in a point-n-click M$-ish
> environment.  In order to accomplish this goal, we need GUI tools that the
> users feel comfortable with.  Much discussion has centered around how this
> should be implemented, and what environment(s) it should run under.  I have
> been looking into single source-code/multi-environment options.  Natrully
> GGI comes to mind.

However, it is no GUI or likely, though it is intended to host these.
But what we thought about was a Turbo Vision Library port using libGGI.
Would this be good for you? There is already a port of it to Linux and
it's now in the PD, as far as I know.

> I remember reading about GGI several months ago.  As I recall there were plans
> for a xterm-like program that would emulate GGI under X.  Is this  idea still
> being considered?  I believe that such a program would be of great benifit to
> both of our projects.  For GGI is would provide developers an environment to
> implement and test GGI applications without incorporating experimental code
> into their kernel. Once the Linux community saw applications existed for GGI
> it would be likely that it would gain user support and enthusiasm.  For SEUL
> it would provide a easy method for a single source code tree could operate in
> 3 of our possible 8 target envronments (actually , the 3 environments with
> the most enthusiastic discussion behind them.)

This 'program' is the Library, and Jason McMullan or Andreas Beck can tell you
more about this. I am doing the kernel related things currently.
So please mail Jason, I think they already have a libGGI-to-X driver
working, but don't know if it is usable yet.

> Any information on the status of such a program would be very valuble in
> helping us make decisions.

Again, I can't tell you much here, but I will forward you message to Jason.
However, please try to contact him yourself again. (I am not sure, but he
might be in holiday too, so please be a bit patient :-)

			Steffen

PS: Jason can be contacted at
jmcc@yop.vi.ri.cmu.edu

------------------ e-mail: seeger@physik.tu-chemnitz.de ------------------