Re: SEUL: gui toolkits

> Maybe this is not our domain, but I think it would be *very* nice if
> Linux had a form editor and widget standard that acts roughly like
> Visual Basic or Delphi for Windows.  In this I mean you can place
> widgets on a "design time" form and set properties at design and/or run
> time.  The widgets themselves would have to be very flexible, knowing
> how to respond to all kinds of activity and to be able to physically
> redraw themselves at any time, possibly changing color, size, location,
> or whatever the programmer felt like doing with them.

IMO, it *is* in our domain, if our goal is to provide users a common
interface.  More than that, though, such a system would allow us to give the
users look-alike environments.  If the interface of a program is specified in
a 'fuzzy' manner, the user could load up a win95 look-alike, or a mac, or
amiga, or nextstep, motif, etc...  Divorcing the app from the interface would
be a very good thing given the current situation, where every app must
re-invent the wheel ui-wise.

> This would go a long way toward making a RAD system for Linux, and it
> would make writing GUI apps much easier, at least for Windows people.

Another significant advantage.  As Linux becomes more popular, there will be
a major push to develop applications for it.  As you mentioned, VB is the de
facto standard for quick-n-dirty apps on the doze* platforms, as well as big
apps in some cases.  If we can develop an equivalent for Linux, apps will
spring up all over the place, and fast ones at that (assuming this ui toolkit
talks X directly, not even Xt if possible)

> But what do you think - is something like this practical?

Take a look at XF for tcl/tk.  It's basically a ui generator that creates the
code framework for you.  It is possible, but it's very difficult to do right.

> [I know, I used to hate the idea of point and click programming too, but
> after using VB at work I admit that it is a VERY good way to build GUI
> apps.]

And why argue with the market?  VB has a huge following, not because it's
efficient or the best way to program, but because it's easy.  It's not
programming-for-the-masses by any means, but it comes close.

        Erik Walthinsen - Programmer, webmaster, 3D artist, etc.   __
 /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314    / /  \
|    | M E G A  omega@aracnet.com         Home: (503)281-4281   / / /\ \
_\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS       / / /\ \ \
Omega Station: http://www.aracnet.com/~omega/                /________\ \ \