SEUL: Auto-detecting hardware

I am wondering, what kind of goals are there for auto-detection of
hardware (not trivial or even close, I reckon), and for general
convenience in the initial setup?  I can't really tell from the docs @
the website.  I think this is a nastier kertwang than any of the common-
look-and-feel sort of issues.  The only reason I am using Linux is
because when I first installed it I wanted it enough to put up with all
the nonsense.  First, there was the hassle of repartitioning with fips
(sticking with the whole don't-spend-a-dime thing), followed by the
unpleasanteness of setting up my XF86Config, and finally the rebuilding
of the kernel for sound support.  And that was before any real effort
toward choosing applications, setting up my window manager, and getting a
PPP connection to work.  Hours and hours of reading on-line documents and
obsessively digging through hardware manuals before you can boot up
Linux, listen to a CD, and play some goofy game.  That kind of trouble is
unacceptable to the average guy who just spend $1000+ on a new computer
which has Windows 95 pre-installed.  Linux will remain out of the
mainstream as long as it takes a week or two to get the machine doing the
things that Windows 95 does automatically the first time you flip the
switch and put in the CD that you just got in the mail from AOL.

Gregory Fall (gmfall@engin.umich.edu)
University of Michigan
Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Space Sciences
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gmfall