Re: SEUL: Text Editor neded

Oops, sorry about that, forgot to send it to seul-project, too.

Most users of SEUL won't even know how to use EDIT.COM.  They know how
to use Notepad and Wordpad.

We need a good clone of WordPad.  A current example of this is Nedit.
Unfortunately, Nedit is not under the GPL.  However, Kedit is a good
example of a Notepad replacement.

Singel-letter access to menus should be defined by SEUL widget set (GTK,
etc.), not the application itself.

Kevin Forge wrote:

> "Intuitive, Software" ; Noun, any program the user already knows how to use.
> A Major hurdle for me when migrating to Linux was figuring out which text
> editor to use ... I found vi intimidating and joe while much better was a whole
> new interface.  My suggestion ... Give the users a Text editor they already know.
> i.e... A clone of EDIT.COM,  The chances of getting computer illiterates to even
> try Linux ( as a first OS ) are quite slim.  However everyone who has ever used
> Any of the none unix OSs will already know how to use edit, since it's interface
> is shared by Word Perfect,  MsWord and a zillion other apps.  Powerful features
> and keystroke combos for all the odd formatting tasks programers use are
> not necessary ( Nothing more fancy than search and replace ), and defiantly a
> single key drop down menu ( Map it to alt by default but allow mapping to other
> keys ).  It doesn't mater if it runs properly on a terminal, SEUL is for the
> home or office user who will be running X on her own PC anyway.
begin:          vcard
fn:             David Freeman
n:              Freeman;David
org:            Worcester Polytechnic Institute
adr:            WPI Box #2202;;100 Institute Road;Worcester;MA;01609;United States of America
email;internet: freeman@earthling.net
title:          Freshman Student
tel;home:       (508) 831-6947
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0