RE: SEUL: Proposition for a simplified kernel recompiling proced

On 01-Feb-98 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> I addition it could take care of the compiling and install process.
>
> Of course we should warn the user about the limits of this procedure
> and refer him to the normal procedures in case he has unusual needs.

Ok, I think what you are looking for is something that generates a reasonable
config file.

Debian has a device to compile and install the kernel auto-magicaly.  If you
can somehow generate the config file, all you need to do is run:

make-kpkg --revision-number <revision> --bzimage kernel_image

This will make the kernel and modules and produce a .deb package than can then
be installed using dpkg.  On installation, it moves the current kernel out of
the way (BUT DOES NOT DELETE IT), runs lilo, deletes the module dependancies
and instructs you to reboot to rebuild the dependancies and load the new kernel.

If the kernel folks can come up with a good .config configurator we simply
script the kernel build process using make-kpkg and dpkg -i after the .config
is made, I think we are a good portion of the way there with tools that are
already available.  This is likely something that can be placed into the first
release.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org