Re: SEUL: SEOL Text EDITOR

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:37:47 -0500
> > From: Rick Jones <rickya@siservices.net>
> > CC: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh@meer.net>, john@dhh.gt.org,
> >         seul-project@seul.org
> > Sender: owner-seul-project@seul.org
> >
> > George Bonser wrote:

> > > More comfortable if you use emacs.  I find vi more comfortable than emacs
> > > probably because I use it.  We need a text editor like pico that lets the
> > > user use the arrow keys, backspace over text to erase it &c.
> >
> > Let me throw a new spin on this incompitence theory.  I have used Linux
> > for over 3 years now on my own machine.  The only time I've used vi is
> > when I had no other choice.  Such as when installing a new distro that
> > only included it.  Once I could get a simpler program I did and vi
> > gathred dust.
> >

> Agreed about VI.  :-)
>
> > This is for a few reasons.  I have yet to find anything to do on my
> > system that required any editor other than something like pico or ae.
> > Whenever I would get in the mood to play with source files, I would get
> > a program like ddd or use Xemacs.  The most prominent reason is because
> > I don't wish to learn vi or emacs.  I want to open a program, do what I
> > opened it for and close it.
> >
> > I would rather spend a week finding a more intuitive interface
> > (primitive if you like) than spend more than a month learning how to use
> > vi or emacs.  I have better things to do than sit reading doc's to learn
> > how to tab a paragraph over.
> >

> Emacs has menus.  In fact you can look Emacs as a mouse editor with
> keyboard shortcuts like any newer editor.  The fact than Emacs was
> born on TTYs has led to teaching its use through the shortcuts.  And
> even if not intuitive, programmers would be better to use it instead
> of most intuitive editors: Emacs will avoid you some bugs.  Of course
> you could use Xemacs instead.  :-)

This discussion is actually about an editor for inclusion on the install
diskette and for doing simple setup chores like editing /etc/*
emacs and vi are both excluded based on size, and the fact that you
MUST read some sort of manual to learn them.

The features of this editor need to be such that it cannot be designed
by
a programer.  I have sean it all over.  Programers and other users use
different editors.  It's similar to how engineers use advanced epoxy
while
handyman joe uses simple glue.  Each would have a hard time using the
other
persons tool.

so this is how we should go about building this editor ( I have yet to
see
a workable substitute, though there are progs that could be modified ).
The interface should be designed by a none programer ( not me as I'm bad
at
long term commitments ), and the programer/s would then agree to go the
extra
mile and build someone else's idea into C code.  ( not normal behavior
in
the GPL world ).  Of course the programers would need to worry about
keeping
it small ( 20 to 30 K should work ).

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."