Re: SEUL: UI ideas [2]

Ben Nolan wrote:

> After the system boot-up, and power is finally given to linux, it
> would be cool if the textscreen faded out smoothly, then the penguin
> / whatever fading back in seamlessly. This would be very cool. =]
>
> User profiles should contain heaps of info (I think this is already
> in linux), so users can have different email addresses /
> pop settings (jim@usa.net, raisa@moscow.ru, etc).
>
> Also, it would be cool if the root user, or whoever has the highest
> rights, the first time they login each day, the system auto dialsup
> with ppp, gets that email of _everyone_ on the system and puts in the
> correct folders. This would be cool.
>
> Seamless email would be nice, eg an inbox and outbox.
>
> Having the option to hide file extensions would be very cool. And
> properly, not the win95 way which is confusing. This would probably
> need to change the file system or something tho. But it would be nice
> to have a normally hidden 4character file extension.

All reasonable suggestions ... except for this one.  Hiding the
extension
must be confusing no mater how elegantly it is handled.  It's easier
to forget what icon is for *.tgz than to forget the *.tgz means
compressed
file.
BTW : there are a few "compressed file managers" out there.  mc is the
 best, although this wasn't primary function ( My hat goes off to
 programers this skilled )
But since SEUL will be primarily X ... We need "XZip" ( or some such
prog
Maximum file type support and interface are most critical.  speed a
close
3rd.

--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."