Re: SEUL: Stopping X

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > > Sorry for my ignorance, but how do XDM and SVGAlib affect each other ?
> > No, it is just that there was a proposal (wasn't it yours? :) that we
> > should use an svgalib-based login screen in leiu of XDM. SVGAlib, while
> > more reliable than X on unknown video hardware, is still a possible point

For clarity only ... I did not suggest SVGA lib, only a "dressed up text
mode display".  I know it is not only possible but relatively simple.
However, all that is moot now since XDM is a workable alternative
   Someone has smashed the LoD, and the other concerns will soon be
dealt with.  It is now a mater of all the programers knocking heads
together to work out a 100% fail-safe out and text mode menu screen
for when Murphy's second law pops up.

> This (reliabilty of SVGAlib) is entirely untrue.  SVGAlib uses
> graphics mode and is confronted to the same problems than X except
>
> Curses (and not SVGAlib) programs allow to make character-based
> pseudographics execept than they run in character mode (no problems
> with unsupported cards), and don't require special privileges.

Someone had mentioned curses;  not me either ... I only came with
the idea of a dressed up CL display.
This idea of curses that looks like a GUI should bear series
consideration for use in the 2nd level fallback; if 'basic VGA X'
Fails  ( NVIDIA keeps getting mentioned :)
--
: "Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
: backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."