Re: SEUL: Re: SEUL distribution?

   > -How good is the DEbian user interface?  You don't even get
   > auto-upgradable menus. And you get mosly raw X apps so the user is
   > supposed to twinkle with resources.  :-(

   Hey, where has this person been? We have better auto-upgrading of menus than

Basically testing every distribution I can put my hands on, getting
ideas from them and thinking in the ways of improving them in order
one day I can say "Use Linux" to my sister.

   Red Hat, and we had it first.

RedHat got auto-updatable menus as soon as RH4.0 (autumn96).  By that
time Debian was still in Beta.

I confess than my two experinces in Debian have been short.  I tend to
makde them longer and more exhaustive but I had much expectations on
Debian and the first impression I got (not necessarily right) was than
it was a distribution targeted for computer-phreaks.  So
disapointement was a factor in the shortness of the experience

In the particular of auto-updatable menus: I tested this with Debian
1.3.  I exited X and uninstalled an application I had seen in the
menus (I did it dselect).  I restarted X.  The application still
showed in the menus.  If I was supposed to start a special command in
order to get menus updated then that is better than hand editing but
it still falls short if the target is an end user.  And if I was
supposed to start a command then Debian is not doing better but worse
than distributions were the simple fact of installing or uninstalling
apps upgrades menus.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez