Re: SEUL: "Core" proof-of-concept

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> This can be set up on ftp.seul.org fairly easily, though we may have no need
> for anything but base and options for a while.

right,  I have, in the last 5 minutes started settin up a skeleton on
corsica ... I want to fool around with it there for a while until I get
comfortable with the layout before moving it to the live server.
ftp.shorelink.com accepts anon ftp but take anything you see there with a
grain of salt, it is work in progress.

> Good plan.  These should probably be posted to seul-dev-distrib for now, and
> we can create a distinct list for it later if necessary.

I would like to start with basic system stuff, administravia and security
items first.  We need a good frame on which to "hang" the rest of the
core. Pretty apps will come after X which will come after some system
basics (network logging daemons, tcp wrappers, ppp, vi for the experianced
... another editor for the inexperianced) etc.

> > I think it is important to base it on 2.0 since it will avoid a tricky
> > upgrade from libc5.
> Good point.  It would be pretty dumb to start out with libc5...

Also, be advised that more than just dselect is changing on debian. The
installation itself is changing from scripts based on dialog to a binary
install based on a newt/whiptail interface. I will try to keep current
with Debian's progress in this area.  currently have on my plate is
regular work which keeps me away from home until about 7-8 PM and there
are some hardware upgrades that are sorely needed but I can devote an hour
or two per day if needed.

> Need not remain that way, though.  If it proves to be workable, it may
> become the basis for *the* core.

Debian makes this rather easy, actually.  You can mold the shape of the
distribution by editing a couple of text files and moving the binaries
around.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org