Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ? (fwd)

William T Wilson wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:
>
> In short, it's not any more likely that we'll damage someone's monitor
> than Microsoft would.

I agree with you, pretty much.  You have to keep in mind that we live in
a world were people sue McD's for spilling coffee on themselves, and
win.  And this dis' is targeted at those that aren't very computer savy.

I'll bet you if you call M$ tech support with a made-up problem and tell
them you installed Linux which opens the registry for config info, they
will blame Linux instantly.  And if M$ says it's Linux it must be so.

Other than that I think the registry is the perfect starting point, if
readable and correct.  After all M$ doesn't have everything in there and
my version of Windoze 95 doesn't have my modem type, monitor type or
video card type in it.

Additionally.  If you want to get the info M$ has on various hardware
types it's all in the .inf files in "windows\inf" directory.  This is
all the info up to the date of packaging and any additional ones that
might have come with new hardware that use an install program.  This is
where the hardware list comes from, alond with parameters that go into
the registry when installed.