Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ? (fwd)

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

> (TGUI9680XGI), and I wouldn't want to have a user taking me to court
> because his Windoze programs get contaminated and he thinks it's due to
> Linux messing with his registry.  However wrong he is.  We all know that

Well, if he thinks Linux messed with his registry, he'll just have to live
with it.  I'm not going to do extra work because users want to pretend
impossible things are happening to them.

> Reading the registry also means mounting the drive, which may be
> compressed.

That's a good point.  Do we know how to unscramble compressed DOS drives?

> This is the best option.  The user should be warned, heavily, to insure
> they use the correct type or set the default, basic VGA or SVGA.

Of course.  :)  However, most users should be able to read their monitor
type off the front of their monitor.  :)  Besides, 99% of modern monitors
and a significant portion of older ones, aren't damaged by being driven at
the wrong frequency, especially if it's not too far out of whack.

In short, it's not any more likely that we'll damage someone's monitor
than Microsoft would.