Re: SEUL: Projects to look at/work with

> The solution would be a Xt emulation layer.  Yeah, it'd be ugly, but it would
> enable us to get everything transfered over without having to re-write
> *everything* at once.  That assumes, of course, that we decide to use Berlin.

That would work.  Also, I didn't see any reference to a clipboard in
Berlin.  That's something I miss in X.  (Actually, I don't even know
that much about X...does it have one and I don't know it???)

> Welllll.... This is something we will be needing eventually.  Whether or not
> this is the right one, or even the right fundamental concept, I couldn't tell
> you.  Be we will need some kind of system-wide configuration database.

I would support a registry if and only if:

 * It kept track of exactly which application put which entry in the
registry,
 * Provided OS level utilities to nuke all entries made by App X (and
therefore uninstall it completely and instantaneously), and
 * Provides a way to back up and restore all of the registry or only the
part installed by App X, which would provide a clean way to move App X
from one computer to another

Those are things Windoze sorely lacks.

> Released to the public, true.  Released publicly for development/testing
> purposes, well, that should be done as soon as we have a system that boots

Exactly.

> If we wait for that, it'll be 2000 before the public sees it.  Our long term
> strategy should be to get a stable product into the public view ASAP

A stable product that they can actually do something *useful* with.  The
Wurd project looks promising, but they haven't even started coding yet.
We need a WP program!  Hopefully they'll have something out by early
next year, but that's probably optimistic.

Perhaps it *is* acceptable to just refer them to Applixware or
StarOffice for their application needs.  But SEUL/Linux would be much
more attractive if it included a nice freeware suite.

 (but
> without rushing/crippling the thing), which will generate market pressure, as
> well as bring in new developers and projects.

Well, hopefully our development code will do that, without having to
release a "final" SEUL 1.0 before it's REALLY good.

> This is what the marketing group will be for.  We need someone to head up
> that group.  Volunteers?

I could try, given my business minor in college.  I might actually be
more useful there than anywhere else, given my limited experience with
real Linux programming.