Re: SEUL: Projects to look at/work with

> > The solution would be a Xt emulation layer.  Yeah, it'd be ugly, but it would
> > enable us to get everything transfered over without having to re-write
> > *everything* at once.  That assumes, of course, that we decide to use Berlin.

The other solution is to layer Berlin on top of X.

> That would work.  Also, I didn't see any reference to a clipboard in
> Berlin.  That's something I miss in X.  (Actually, I don't even know
> that much about X...does it have one and I don't know it???)

X has a clipboard, called Xclipboard. It is functionally useless, because
few Xapps are written to be compatible with each other.

> > Welllll.... This is something we will be needing eventually.  Whether or not
> > this is the right one, or even the right fundamental concept, I couldn't tell
> > you.  Be we will need some kind of system-wide configuration database.
>
> I would support a registry if and only if:
>
>  * It kept track of exactly which application put which entry in the
> registry,
>  * Provided OS level utilities to nuke all entries made by App X (and
> therefore uninstall it completely and instantaneously), and
>  * Provides a way to back up and restore all of the registry or only the
> part installed by App X, which would provide a clean way to move App X
> from one computer to another

I don't support a registry at all! What happens if I delete a file that is
held in the registry, without going through it?

> Perhaps it *is* acceptable to just refer them to Applixware or
> StarOffice for their application needs.  But SEUL/Linux would be much
> more attractive if it included a nice freeware suite.
Or you can bundle your distribution with these as value added options?
Aplixware or Staroffice would probably be thrilled at getting another channel
for there products, and you can tailor your ditribution around these products,
the way Microsoft has done around its Office Suites.

> > This is what the marketing group will be for.  We need someone to head up
> > that group.  Volunteers?
>
> I could try, given my business minor in college.  I might actually be
> more useful there than anywhere else, given my limited experience with
> real Linux programming.

You can throw my name into the marketing group, but I'd also like to be in on
development, and configuration issues.
							B.T.