Re: SEUL: Projects to look at/work with

Bill Thanis writes:
> 1) Use a linux boot disk to boot the computer, forget dos.

I still suggest using a Freedos boot floppy, but the user should never see
Freedos.  Dos would autoexec an install program which would figure out your
CDROM drive and then pull Linux off the CD.

The CD must be bootable, of course.  Thus if your CDROM drive is bootable,
you just boot the CD.  If your CD drive isn't bootable but you've acquired
a Seul CD complete with floppy, just boot the floppy.  If you don't have
the floppy but do have access to Win/Dos, run the install program on the CD,
which will prompt you for a formatted disk and then make a boot floppy.  If
you have access to a Sun or some such, copy the files to the floppy by
hand.

> 2) Assume a CDROM installation.

But do not preclude other methods.

> 5) Use a swap file, not a swap partition, yes its slower, but you don't
> need to repartition a drive for it.

Only as a fallback position, if repartitioning isn't possible.

> 7) REBOOT system automatically, and have it come up with a GUI screen.

I don't like automatic reboots.

> A - make sure you have the proper version of all the library, when
> packaging the applications, package the proper C, and X libraries with
> them, and have a conditional extraction if the installed libraries are
> older than the ones the package needs.

That is what dependencies are for.
jghasler@win.bright.net    Do with it what you will.