Re: SEUL: Projects to look at/work with

> Browsing through the LDP project list, here are some of the projects I've found
> that we should try to coordinate with:
>
> http://www.asgardpro.com/wine/
> WINE:  For "legacy" application (read: Windoze app) support.

I've been running wine for sometime know. It core dumps a lot with some of the
bigger packages, but promises to be a very important feature. As far as I
know there is no distribution that comes with wine installed.

> http://blank.pages.de/lip/
> Linux Interface Project:  Designing a free widget set for use with Linux,
> replacement for Motif, etc.  This one's in coding stages, so someone better
> contact them ASAP to find out what they have...

This is pre alpha phase, but maybe in a year.

> http://www.ecnet.net/users/gfetters/berlin/
> Berlin:  A replacement windowing system, built on top of GGI, that promises
> to be much better than X.

How different is this to X. Will an X emulation library be needed to run X apps?

> http://scam.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp/
> GIMP:  The GNU Image Manipulation Program is almost at 1.0 (though 0.99.10
> segv's constantly on several of my machines), and is reputed to be equivalent
> to Photoshop.

Seeing I'm late in this mailing list I'd thought I put in all my two cents in.

First of all, I am in no way a novice at installing and configuring linux, but
these are some of the pitfalls I've fell into.

1) Use a linux boot disk to boot the computer, forget dos.
2) Assume a CDROM installation.
3) A curses front end to FDISk would be nice.
4) Assume disk space will be occupied by something else. Detect all partitions
and ask which one is to be the linux partition.
5) Use a swap file, not a swap partition, yes its slower, but you don't need
to repartition a drive for it.
6) Install basic system first, including an Xserver. X server to use initially is the
VGA server 640x480, with all default configuration. What kind of mouse question should
be here.
7) REBOOT system automatically, and have it come up with a GUI screen.
8) Reinstall correct server based on the information given, install games, and applications.

A - make sure you have the proper version of all the library, when packaging the
applications, package the proper C, and X libraries with them, and have a conditional
extraction if the installed libraries are older than the ones the package needs. I have
spent countless hours debugging this problem.

Applications:
	Word Processor
	Spread Sheet
	Graphics package a la GIMP
	Desktop Publishing package would be nice,
	Internet clients:
		FTP
		email
		http
		IRC
	Simple PPP setup and connectivity program - I found a nice one called ezPPP, its freeware.
	Packages should have Drag and Drop Facilities between them,

Nice to Have:
	SQL database,
	apache server,
	ftp server,
	email server, (sendmail if necessary, but ...)
	Network setup progarm, preferably GUI based.

A simple linux system should come preconfigured as much as possible. Don't give many choices on
the look and feel of the desktop.

Just my two cents worth.
							B.T.