Re: SEUL: Installation steps

On 11 Jun 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> Demian Rootring writes:
> > The point is that Linux won't be pre-installed on the pc of the
> > newcomer,...
>
> Why assume that?
>
> > ...so we need to give them an easy way to 'upgrade'...
>
> So we give them a Freedos boot disk.
>
> > Why then, don't use dos/win as a sort of pre-install app...
>
> Because we don't want to concede permanent inferiority to dos/win.
>
> > ...(NT does the same)?
>
> Microsoft sells dos/win.  We don't.
>
> John Hasler
> jghasler@win.bright.net (John Hasler)
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI

> in the body of the letter.

John,

I sense some antipathy towards MicroSoft from you.  It is understandable.
But let's face it.  MicroSoft is not going away anytime soon.  Besides
without MicroSoft where would our opportunities come from?  I would get
more satisfaction out of molding MicroSoft to our purposes, by altering
its market environment, than orchestrating its demise.

Remember the Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert's lawyer becomes Bill's
towel boy?  I think Bill would make a decent towel boy.

Regards,