Re: SEUL: Installation steps

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Demian Rootring wrote:

> jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:
> >
> > > The point is that Linux won't be pre-installed on the pc of the
> > > newcomer,...
> >
> > Why assume that?
>
> The big computer manufacterers have contracts with Ms, and in the
> beginning users will simply demand a Dos/Win95 OS (because they know it
> is "good") when they buy a computer...
>
> > > ...so we need to give them an easy way to 'upgrade'...
> >
> > So we give them a Freedos boot disk.
> >
> > > Why then, don't use dos/win as a sort of pre-install app...
> >
> > Because we don't want to concede permanent inferiority to dos/win.
>
> But that's not the point, it is just making things a little more easy
> for most people, they will be glad if they see the Linux Installation
> Program autostart on their Win95 system.
>
> > > ...(NT does the same)?
> >
> > Microsoft sells dos/win.  We don't.
>
> Just give them a choise, Freedos or a Dos and/or Win95 'setup'...
>
> Demian Rootring
> rootring@xs4all.nl
> The Netherlands

> in the body of the letter.

I don't think most users would appreciate a second diskette for Freedos
when they already paid for DOS.  For those building their own computer
they need to get some sort of DOS, maybe we can help these users.

Many PC manufacturers simply refuse to supply PC's without MicroSoft
DOS/Windows.  I expect that most disk drive manufacturers may already
have it loaded before they ship their drives to PC manufacturers.

Regards,