Re: SEUL: Installation steps

jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> > The point is that Linux won't be pre-installed on the pc of the
> > newcomer,...
>
> Why assume that?

The big computer manufacterers have contracts with Ms, and in the
beginning users will simply demand a Dos/Win95 OS (because they know it
is "good") when they buy a computer...

> > ...so we need to give them an easy way to 'upgrade'...
>
> So we give them a Freedos boot disk.
>
> > Why then, don't use dos/win as a sort of pre-install app...
>
> Because we don't want to concede permanent inferiority to dos/win.

But that's not the point, it is just making things a little more easy
for most people, they will be glad if they see the Linux Installation
Program autostart on their Win95 system.

> > ...(NT does the same)?
>
> Microsoft sells dos/win.  We don't.

Just give them a choise, Freedos or a Dos and/or Win95 'setup'...

Demian Rootring
rootring@xs4all.nl
The Netherlands