Re: SEUL: Installation steps

Jeffrey S. Dutky wrote:

> SEUL stands to Simple END USER Linux. End users will not want
> to recompile the kernel just to install something. This is why
> we would have modules enabled as part of the default install.

Well, for a lot of things, the kernel simply has to be recompiled.  Why
can't we make a nice program (actually, isn't there already one?) that
knows most of the things that should be included, but allows the user to
enable or disable something?  The program could then make an "emergency
disk" to restore the system in the event of a messup.  Remember, we're
talking about at least somewhat intelligent users here, not complete
idiots.  They should be able to run a simple program to do this.

What about sound cards - should the modules for all sound cards be
installed?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like built in drivers
would be more efficient.

Also, there's things like SCSI.  It wouldn't make much sense to put SCSI
in a module, but not everyone will want it in their kernel.

> targeted system. I would go so far as to say that features
> should be omitted from the SEUL project if they cannot be
> included in a mannner that is simple and unthreatening to the
> end user.

I agree with that.  I just don't think a kernel compile has to be
complicated!  Tell them to start it and play Doom while they wait...