Re: SEUL: Observatons

   Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:33:50 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Jay Bloodworth <jay@pathways.sde.state.sc.us>
   Sender: owner-seul-project@mail.txcc.net

   On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Johan Grape wrote:

   > > 1) I don't think people reinstall operating systems lightly.  Those who do
   > > can probably handle RedHat.
   >
   > Huh?
   >
   > Well - isn't the whole point that RedHat *is* too complicated from
   > an end-user standpoint?  In terms of sophistication, Windows NT is

   That may be your whole point, but I'm not convinced it's really true.

   The position I arguing from is:

   The set of home users who lack the courage and/or skills to install RedHat
   AND who are otherwise willing to consider installing a new OS is currently
   too small to warrant a new distribution aimed at those users.

Installing RedHat is quite easy.  But after installing it you have to
live with it.

There is a technical threshold than impedes some people from using
LINUX.  Our goal is to lower this threshold.

And if we can give them some good free software attractive from them
they will be willing to try LINUX instead of being cheated with
mediocre payware in MS world.  MS world has an Achilles heel: lack of
good software you can have for free.  I saw one person sharewaring a
100 lines VB program!

And then our users will talk to their friends.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez