Re: SEUL: common file formats

Luka (Peter) wrote:

> Micah Yoder <yoderm@geocities.com> wrote:
> >     People like to share files!
> >     And they generally don't think of ASCII files as a viable
> >     medium.
> >
> > Now, it's not necessary to run MSWORD or WORKS on Linux, but
> > unless the "End user" can easily share his files with his
> > brother-in-law, etc., he's not going to be happy. To the best
> > of my knowledge, there is not currently a good way of dealing
> > with this. Correct me if I'm wrong, and please point me to it.
>
> correct.  does anyone know about word or works file formats?
> is there free source for routines to read/write them.
> any licensing issues? would it be possible to crack the format,
> or is it really incompatible with linux apps?
> (i don't work much with wp's, so i do not know much about these
> details myself.)

The Rich Text Format (RTF) was designed by Microsft and is supported
by most of their word processing products, as well as word processors
from other companies on other platforms. The format, I believe, is
an open standard whose specification can be obtained at:

   <ftp://ftp.primate.wisc.edu/pub/RTF/>

- Jeff Dutky