Re: SEUL: Re: Proposal for using a single mailing list [was Re: One end-user distribution?]

Eric BARROCA wrote:

> > Hardware detection is a worthwhile goal, but you need some good
> > programmers on your team to do this. IOW, Redhat and SuSE are better
> > equipped to write installers than us ...
> What ???!!!!
> And before RH, SuSE, etc. how have we done ?
> Who wrote Linux, Emacs, GIMP, Sendmail, Qmail, INN, Apache ? RH ? SuSE ? I
> don't think.
> We can write it, we have (LætOS) some developers, if other oin us, we can
> do it quickly.

That was my point exactly in my previous mail. It may take a lot of time, but we can
do this.

> > > C - Why not try to standardize the parts of the Linux OS which have not been
> > > standardized already ?
> > this is really for the big distros to fight about. Now if anyone can get
> > something like LSB working, this would be nice ...
> Ok, then SEUL standardize and LætOS, Independence, LED use it to write the
> distro.

That's what I mean. Let everyone give his/her input on what parts should be
standardized, then make a list every one can agree with, and agree to modify every
distribution to comply with that common goal. By doing this, we could all benefit of
eachothers' work while achieving a 'standard' Linux, no matter what distribution you
are running.

That should eliminate the what-is-the-best-Linux-distribution discussion once and
for all.

Regards,

Michel