Re: SEUL: Re: Proposal for using a single mailing list [was Re: Oneend-user distribution?]

Hi Donovan,

> However, it is futile to try to build such a huge list by hand. This is
> the problem. The one at indy basically uses a perl script which rips
> through the RPMs, extracting the information.
>
> > useful for an end user distro, so I am willing to volunteer to build some
> >  pages
> > with handy info.
>
> You don't want to build anything like my software database by hand. Trudt
> me on this one ! there are over 500 packages on the list.
>
> But if there's something that's half decent, we can package it and add it
> to indy anyway ( and then it will be in the software list )

I don't think Dennis' idea is to rebuild all your packages, just to add new ones to
your list, as you said.

> > > nobody needs a graphical install program.
> >
> > We do. We want the installation to look like windows and what I have seen from
>
> this will not help convert anyone to linux. The appearance of the
> interface isn't very improtant. What is important is that the interface is
> usable.

Well, from a user-point of view, I don't think that the console would do much good
trying to convert people to Linux. Creating as much a graphical distribution as
possible which autoconfigures itself would only serve to make the user feel
comfortable with Linux.

> How much effort will an install that looks like windows take to program
> ... and how much will it help ? The effort would be better spent adding
> ppp config to the install.

Well, actually, most window managers have a ppp-config program (KDE surely has it,
GNOME has it for instance). I see those programs scrolling by on Freshmeat sometimes,
and if this is not the case, try to rip it from the Slackware distribution, which
contains a scriptbased program to do this.

If you'd like to have it, please let me know, I'd be happy to mail it to you.

Regards,

Michel