Re: SEUL: Re: hosting tsinvest? (fwd)

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Roger R Dingledine wrote:

> Can I get some votes, or discussion, or whatever seems appropriate, on
> this? :)
>
> Does SEUL want to move in this direction despite the license complexities?
>
> > > As an addendum, I notice that the 'copying policy' described in the cola
> > > announcement makes it sound like distributing modified versions is
> > > acceptable, whereas the 'license' on your website implies that that's
> > > forbidden. Can you clarify this? (The SEUL Project encourages licensing
> > > under actual free software licenses, of course.)
> > >

> > Hi Roger. Yea, on advise of counsel, the GPL doesn't work on
> > investment programs-where the program is getting close to recommending
> > investments; that's more under the authority of brokers, who are
> > certified though government mandate. (The futures markets are
> > particularly sensitive about this.)

I don't mind getting involved in non-GPLed projects if they otherwise
substantially meet our guidelines, but John's response makes me wonder if we might be
open for some legal liability if we host this site.  I'd really lik to not get
tangled up with lawyers if at all possible.

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@suscom.net     those in authority off their guard and give